What’s inside this 1:1 Meeting for Effective Managers Template:
1💬 General questions
General questions to ask the direct report.
- How are you doing?
- What’s on your mind this week?
- Any admin items (e.g. holidays) that we should discuss?
2 ❓ Alignment
General questions to understand how they are aligning with the company and role.
- How confident do you feel with where the company is going?
- Do you have any questions about strategy?
- Do you need any additional input from me?
General questions to understand what progress has been made since the last conversation.
- What are the key achievements since the last meeting?
- How are you progressing towards your goals?
- What are the current roadblocks?
- What’s one thing you learned since we last talked?
- What has challenged you since we last talked?
- What has gone well since we last talked?
Questions to build rapport, transparency and gather feedback.
- What feedback do you have for me?
- Any interactions you’d like to discuss?
- How can I best support you between now and the next time we meet?
Questions to understand your direct reports’ career goals to see how you can help them grow and succeed.
- What progress have you made on your career goals?
- Which skills would you like to continue working on?
6✅ Next Steps
Questions to understand the next steps after this meeting.
- What are this week’s top priorities?
- Anything we should discuss next time?