👥 Top 10 questions great managers ask during their one-on-ones
TLDR: Great managers make it a priority to check-in with their direct reports and ensure that they have the resources they need to do their job well. Some questions you should ask include:
- What are your top priorities this week?
- What are your long-term professional goals?
- What’s something I should consider changing or start doing?
⚠️ 3 common hiring mistakes new managers should avoid
TLDR: When hiring someone for your team, avoid these common subconscious motivations:
- Don’t try to clone yourself. Instead, hire someone who brings new perspectives.
- Don’t hire someone to do all the stuff you don’t want to do. You’ll have trouble attracting talented people to do a boring job.
- Don’t feel threatened by candidates that have talents that you lack. If you want to move your organization forward, you need people with varied skillsets.
💡 How to lead effective team meetings: 8 best practices
TLDR: Team meetings can help you foster a positive culture and ensure that everyone is aligned. However, your meetings won’t be effective unless you adopt these leadership practices. Starting with:
- Getting the entire group to contribute.
- Addressing roadblocks and challenges.
- Asking the team for feedback.
🤝 What does sponsorship look like?
TLDR: To sponsor someone is to help them get more opportunities to do visible, valuable work. It’s not just giving advice and mentorship. Want to sponsor your employees?
- Start by getting familiar with their work and skillset.
- Understand what problems they’re good at solving and what they’re excited to learn.
- Keep your eyes peeled for opportunities to raise their name and vouch for their work.