Strategic planning can be an incredibly exciting time for your organization when all departments come together to discuss your mission, vision, key priorities, and what you want to accomplish as a team. Strategic planning is also highly important; almost all senior-level decision-makers say strategic alignment is critical to their organizational initiatives. The bad news is that research shows that up to 90% of strategic plans never fully launch.
The good news is that there are steps you can take to make sure your company’s strategic initiatives take off and maintain their momentum. Choosing the right software to support your strategic planning is a simple but effective way to set your team up for success. Read on for a comprehensive breakdown of the top strategic planning software that will revolutionize your strategic planning in 2024.
What is strategic planning software?
Strategic planning software is designed to help you define your company’s overall direction and identify the steps needed to get there. The right software will give you the tools to set, monitor, and adjust your overarching strategies, promoting cohesion and alignment across your organization.
Strategic planning software is important for establishing this cycle of continuous aligned momentum. Key features of strategic planning software include goal setting, roadmapping, performance tracking, collaboration, and advanced analytics. Once you’ve implemented the right software for your team, you’ll be ready to move forward with a clearly defined business strategy and improved performance.
“Designing a system whereby the various key stakeholders of an organization interact to produce a virtuous circle that is, in turn, a source of sustainable competitive advantage. Get this right and you’ll fast-track your organization to success.”— Graham Kenny, Harvard Business Review
The benefits of using strategic planning software
- Fosters strategic alignment across departments
- Streamlines decision-making processes
- Monitors progress and ensures adaptability
- Saves time and resources in the planning phase
Fosters strategic alignment across departments
Ensuring that all departments are on the same page about your company’s overarching strategy can be challenging, especially in larger organizations. Using the right strategic planning software can improve alignment by helping your team communicate ideas effectively and visualize your long-term strategic direction. Focusing on your company’s vision, mission, and high-level goals is key for building shared understanding across departments.
Your meeting problem, solved.
Fellow is the only all-in-one meeting solution that combines AI, behavior-driving features, and seamless integrations so you can have fewer, more effective meetings and 1-on-1s.
Streamlines decision-making processes
To make informed strategic decisions, you need accurate, up-to-date information on company financials, customer satisfaction, team capabilities, and more. Strategic planning software helps you collect, organize, and analyze all the data you need for effective decision-making. When you have a complete picture of your business’s performance and metrics, you’ll be able to generate and move ahead with innovative ideas as a unified team.
Monitors progress and ensures adaptability
Once you’ve invested time and energy into strategic planning, don’t let it go to waste! A key benefit of using specialized planning software is that it can help you transform your strategic plans into actionable next steps. With the right software, you can track all your strategic initiatives in one place, manage performance, and monitor progress to ensure you reach your goals. If you’re falling short of your objectives, you can easily adapt your team’s workflows to get back on track.
Saves time and resources in the planning phase
Strategic planning software can help you allocate company resources for maximum impact. For example, the right software will help you identify the best ways to invest your team’s people, time, and budget to meet your objectives. Effective resource allocation is critical for successful program management and to ensure all projects are aligned with your overall strategy.
10 of the best strategic planning software in 2024
Fellow is the best all-in-one strategic planning software on the market, offering everything you need to set and achieve ambitious goals with your team. Fellow’s collaborative meeting agendas will make your strategic planning meetings a success, allowing you to include a timeline for each step of your planning and a list of discussion points. You can also assign roles and responsibilities ahead of time so everyone’s prepared to do their best strategic thinking on meeting day.
Collaborative note-taking will ensure nothing’s missed so participants can focus all their energy on discussing key business priorities. Additionally, you can use action items to assign, visualize, and prioritize the next steps that result from your strategy meeting.
After your strategy meeting, don’t let your team’s momentum stop—use Fellow’s Objectives tool to set strategic objectives and measurable key results. You can regularly review progress during team check-ins by adding an Objectives tab to your meetings. To promote continuous improvement, Fellow helps your team give and receive feedback to ensure everyone’s moving in the same strategic direction.
Fellow also integrates with a wide range of other software to help you establish workflows that support your strategic goals. With 500+ free meeting agenda templates, including a Strategic Planning Meeting Template, Fellow has everything you need to get started with strategic planning today.
- Action items function to assign, organize, and prioritize all your meeting to-dos in one place
- AI-generated agendas, topics, and suggested talking points for strategic planning
- Feedback features to request and track real-time feedback on meetings, projects, and performance
- 500+ ready-to-use meeting agenda templates
Pricing: Starts at $7 per user per month
Rating and reviews: 4.7/5 star rating on G2 with 1,866 reviews
Cascade is a strategy execution platform that helps you track and connect metrics, initiatives, and investments. It supports strategic management by making it easy to evaluate your company’s current performance and identify areas for improvement. Cascade also helps you spot and assess risk areas such as a compliance risk or a data breach.
- A large library of metrics you can use to view your data all in one place
- In-depth dashboards and reports to help you measure performance
- Objective alignment maps for visualizing relationships between your goals
Pricing: Free for up to 4 users with custom pricing for enterprise solutions
Rating and reviews: 4.8/5 star rating on G2 with 196 reviews
AchieveIt is a strategic planning software designed to help you manage key plans and initiatives while reducing manual processes. It can improve your team’s decision-making with automated dashboards and real-time insights. Achievelt also promotes accountability on your team by making it easy to see who’s hitting their targets and areas where performance could be improved.
- Strategic maps for planning your business strategy in a visual way
- Advanced metrics tracking for monitoring progress
- Automatic updates with customizable cadence and frequency
Pricing: Custom pricing is available for three main plans: Core, Plus, and Pro. Each plan includes a 20-user minimum.
Rating and reviews: 4.5/5 star rating on G2 with 93 reviews
Hive is a project management tool designed to help you plan and track goals across your organization. It can improve team alignment with objective and milestone tracking as well as customizable project status updates. Hive is a specialized solution for hybrid teams that want to improve cross-functional collaboration.
- Project hierarchies show how different projects are connected
- Action cards can be used to comment on tasks and tag team members
- Project baselines show pre-project planning and ensure execution stays aligned
- Free (up to 2 workspace members)
- Teams—$12/user per month
- Enterprise—custom pricing
Rating and reviews: 4.6/5 star rating on G2 with 476 reviews
ClickUp is an all-in-one productivity platform with a variety of features and templates to aid your strategic planning. It can help you outline your vision and goals and set clear timelines. ClickUp can also help you allocate resources effectively and capitalize on the best market opportunities for your business.
- A customizable dashboard helps you manage projects alongside your team’s shared notes
- Action plans that connect daily work to OKRs
- Task and time tracking to help you manage performance
- Free plan (for personal use)
- Unlimited—$7/user per month (for small teams)
- Business—$14/user per month (for mid-sized teams)
- Business Plus—$18/user per month (for multiple teams)
Rating and reviews: 4.7/5 star rating on G2 with 8,972 reviews
ChartHop is a people operations platform designed to bring all your people data together in one place. It can be an effective tool for aligning your people strategy with your overall strategic planning. Its strength lies in helping you understand your people data with advanced analytics and take action based on these insights.
- Advanced people analytics for keeping track of your team
- Comprehensive dashboards show employee performance and salary information
- Dynamic organizational charts allow you to evaluate your team and help them make continuous improvements over time
- Basic—free (for up to 150 team members)
- Standard—$8/user per month
- Premium—$16/user per month
Rating and reviews: 4.2/5 star rating on G2 with 102 reviews
Adobe Workfront is a collaborative work management platform that can help you manage the entire life cycle of your team’s work. It can assist you in defining your strategy, rolling it out across your organization, and assigning tasks to team members. It can also improve resource management by improving visibility into how much work each employee has at a given time.
- Automated task management and scheduling to manage projects
- Templates and automated workflows to help you increase capacity
- Online reviewing tools to make collaboration easy
Pricing: Adobe Workfront offers three different pricing plans, with more information available upon request.
Rating and reviews: 4.1/5 star rating on G2 with 920 reviews
Any.do is an app designed to help you stay organized with tasks, lists, reminders, and calendar functionality. It can aid your planning by helping you set business priorities and manage progress toward your strategic goals. Any.do is a popular to-do list app and offers a variety of templates to get started.
- Deadlines, color tags, subtasks, and more to help you manage your team’s tasks
- Extensive list of integrations, including calendar integration
- Shared boards and chat functionality allow users to collaborate on tasks
- Personal—Free (for personal use)
- Teams—$5/user per month
Rating and reviews: 4.1/5 star rating on G2 with 192 reviews
Lucidspark is a visual collaboration tool to help you with team brainstorming and organizing your ideas. You can use virtual whiteboards to develop your strategic plans in a visual way and share ideas in real-time. Then, you can turn your visual brainstorm into a polished document to share with your team and begin executing your plans.
- Collaborative AI to kick off your brainstorming
- Voting Mode will help you make decisions together
- Ability to export your visual boards into polished diagrams and documents
- Free (comes with 3 editable boards)
- Individual—starts at $7.95/month
- Team—starts at $9/user per month
- Enterprise—contact sales
Rating and reviews: 4.7/5 star rating on GetApp with 358 reviews
monday.com is a robust project management software that also offers templates and tools for strategic planning. While working on your strategy, you can customize your boards with various columns, sections, statuses, and automation. monday.com’s format encourages you to keep your company’s goals visible at all times so they’re top of mind while you work on tasks and project planning.
- Premade templates for strategic planning
- Interactive boards for visual planning with your team
- A range of project management features to help you take action on your plans
- Free plan (up to 2 users)
- Basic—$11/user per month
- Standard—$14/user per month
- Pro—$26/user per month
Rating and reviews: 4.7/5 star rating on G2 with 8,680 reviews
Leveraging the right software is essential to making the most of your company’s strategic planning process. When choosing a tool for your team, make sure to consider how it will support your team’s meeting management, goal setting, accountability, and collaboration. Fellow offers all the features you need to optimize these areas and more for your team to help you tackle your most important goals.
Of course, even the best software can’t do your strategic planning for you! That’s why at Fellow, we walk you through how to develop a strategic management process, provide top strategic leadership tips on the Fellow blog, and offer a wide range of free meeting templates to help guide the way.