What’s inside this VP of Marketing Interview Template:
To help your candidates here though, make sure you’ve shared enough data on how your funnel works today.
- What are the top 3 things you think we should upgrade in marketing?
2🎯 Previous commits
This is a great catch-all to see if you really have someone that can do demand gen.
- What “commit” did you hold in your last roles? How much of it did you meet?
Were they close to the VP of sales? What issues and bumps did they have together? How do they think sales and marketing should work together?
- How have you worked with the sales team in the past?
Make sure the candidate knows your ARR today and your ARR goal 12 months from now.
- What should our marketing budget be?
5👥 Marketing team
Many candidates will need just need too large of a team. Better to find out upfront.
- How big a team do we need?
6💪 Close rates
Do they do the right types of product marketing for your stage? Marketing isn’t just getting folks into the funnel. It’s also increasing close rates.
- What have you done to increase win rates?
If you sell to customers Small, Medium, and Large, ask them how they’d split up their limited time and budget into each segment.
- What should we do to market to each of our top segments?
Great agencies are terrific leverage for a great VP of Marketing — without having to make full-time hires.
- What agencies would you bring in to help us?
9📣 Brand awareness?
Most VPs of Marketing you hire before $5m-$10m ARR likely shouldn’t put this #1.
- How much should we focus on building up brand and product awareness?
10🚀 Customer marketing
This is a great opportunity to chat about strategy and best practices and where to grow and improve.
- What sort of customer marketing should we do?