What’s inside this Incoming Client Interview [Legal Clinic] Template:
The objective of this meeting is to establish a relationship of trust with the client, to gather the information necessary to counsel her and to understand her priorities and circumstances.
Ice breaker and round of introductions.
2 Preliminary Questions
Review preliminary questions prior to starting the meeting
- Confirm identity (name, address, phone number)
- Confirm payment of legal fees
- Confirm there is not conflict of interest
3 Mandate of the meeting
Confirm the mandate of the meeting.
- Confirm if the client is currently working with a lawyer or has worked with a lawyer in the past.
4 Administrative details
Share all administrative details prior to beginning the question period.
- Explain any relevant preliminary rights entering this meeting.
- Explain confidentiality and professional secrecy.
- Any questions on the process of this meeting?
5 Question Period
Summarize the reason for their visit — understanding the issue at hand through a series of questions.
- What happened?
- Have you had any conflicts in the past with this person?
- What would the counter part say on your behalf?
- What additional details are missing?
Gather all relevant documents that are pertinent for this case.
What does the client want? What is their ideal outcome of this situation? Do they have the financial capacities to hire a lawyer in case?
Wrap up of the meeting
- Summary of the meeting
- Summary of next steps
- What is the best way to communicate?
- Any final questions?