What’s inside this Reference Check Meeting Template:
1 👋 Intros
Introduce yourself and thank the reference for their time. Explain that the reference check should take 10-15 minutes as you want to be respectful of the reference’s time.
- Name of Reference:
- Title (at the time of knowing candidate):
2 🔍 Relationship with applicant
Confirm employment dates and titles they claim on their resume and LinkedIn.
- Can you tell me about your relationship with [applicant] at [company]?
- Were you in a position to supervise their work?
3 📌 Applicant experience
Ask questions about the applicant’s day-to-day work and performance at their previous job.
- How would you describe [applicant’s] work ethic?
- Can you describe their ability to work with others (their customers, coworkers, stakeholders)?
- Can you give me an example of how they respond to feedback?
4🌱 Growth opportunities
Inquire about potential areas of improvement.
- We all have things we can grow and learn throughout our careers, what would you say is an area they could further develop or improve upon?
5💬 Closing thoughts
End the conversation with the following questions (and don’t forget to thank the reference for their time!).
- If you had the chance to rehire this person again for this same role, would you?
- Is there anything else you think I should know?